College Grants for Single Mothers

Many single mothers would like to return to school to obtain a college degree, but because of financial concerns or child care issues, they feel that this is impossible.  Today, there are numerous grants available for single mothers considering a higher education. 

When a single mother receives a college grant, this can relieve the financial strain that college can bring. To start opening doors to the numerous grants and financial aid opportunities available to single mothers, fill out a Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) form, which helps students determine the available sources of grants and financial aid such as the Cal Grant, Pell Grant, low interest student loans and scholarships. Once your Student Aid Report comes in, you will also receive an Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which determines your financial eligibility. Your university or college uses the EFC numbers to decide on the federal aide amount established on the schools fees.

Here are some additional federal and private grant programs to pursue as a single parent:

  • Single Parents Association of America, through a third party affiliate, grants money to single parents in America.
  • The Federal Pell Grant Program helps undergraduate, low-income single mothers go to university or college. Students must fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to receive financial aid.
  • For more information on single parent grants, visit


Customize Your Education