College Grant for Military Spouses

For military spouses wanting to begin or advance their career, there are many college grant programs available.

The Career Advancement Account (CAA) helps cover up to $3,000 in education and training expenses for military spouses per year. Military spouses receive two years of grants totaling $6,000, which allows participants to get their selected credential or degree. Eligibility to receive this grant inlude:  the spouse must have a GED or high school diploma; the applicant must be the spouse of an active duty service member; and not currently receiving any U.S. Department of Labor funded training assistance. The CAA website provides excellent information on the Career Advancement Account.

The General Henry H. Arnold Education Grant Program awards grants to undergraduate, full-time students that are dependent military spouses or children of active, retired, or deceased members of the Air Force. This is a need-based grant that factors in tuition costs and family income to qualifying spouses or children of Air Force members. Of all the college grant and financial aid programs for military spouses, the General Henry H. Arnold Education Grant Program is the most popular.

The Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges Coast Guard degree program (SOCCOAST) offers grants to spouse and/or family members. The SOCCOAST colleges, which form networks accepting credits from other colleges, offer both bachelor and associate degree programs at Marine and Navy facilities worldwide. Even when transferred, spouse and family members can still work towards finishing their degrees.

The Coast Guard Mutual Assistance (CGMA) program offers Coast Guard personnel and family members one hundred and fifty dollars annually to assist with education related college bills such as supplies, housing, and books. Additionally, the CGMA program grant can pay for admission exams such as the SAT.

The Spouse Tuition Aid Program (STAP) provides grants for military spouses of members of the Navy to go towards graduate, undergraduate, or certificate degree  programs. For graduate studies, spouses can recieve $350 per semester and $1,750 annually; while undergraduates receive $300 per semester and fifteen hundred dollars annually.

For Marine spouses, the Admiral Mike Boorda Seaman-to-Admiral Educational Assistance Program provides grants totaling up to twenty five hundred dollars annually for marines and sailors accepted into the Meritorious Commissioning Program, Medical Enlisted Commissioning Program and Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program.

[More on how to plan for college...]

Customize Your Education